Monday 18 March 2013

Kitchen Korner: Banana Teacup Muffins




So I was home alone bored last Saturday night at around 10pm suffering from I-don’t-know-what-to-do-with-myself syndrome when I decided to bake. Now usually when I am home and bored I sleep, cook, read or watch TV/movie. This decision was partly brought about by the fact that I had half an overripe banana in the fridge that would go bad if not used soon. The other half had been used on my face earlier on in the day; banana, cinnamon and turmeric face mask for my bi monthly at home facial. 


I had planned to make banana pancakes the next morning but shelved that idea when I remembered this post from one of my favourite food bloggers while trying to figure out what to bake. I have been planning on baking these teacup muffins for the longest time since I read that post but never got round to it so the timing was perfect. While I am okay with anything banana flavoured I don’t eat the actual fruit can’t stand it. I don’t have any reason for not eating banana the fruit on its own other than the fact that it makes me nauseous and I can never seem to swallow a piece no matter how small. So while I will have banana milkshake or banana bread I steer well clear of eating the fruit on its own, I know I am weird like that:) Green cooking bananas and plantains are fine those ones I can eat but the fruit on its own is a no no.
I used a butter knife round the edges to help slide the muffin out of the teacup

Now since this was a spur of the moment decision and I was on trial and error mode plus I was slightly afraid of cracking teacups in the oven I only made one big muffin and two baby muffins. These are the ingredients I used;
½ cup self raising flour
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
Vanilla essence- few drops
Pinch cinnamon powder
1 small egg
1 tablespoon butter
½ overripe banana mashed
¼ cup water (found out I was out of milk and It was too late to go to the store)
My directions
Poured everything into a bowl and mixed with a wooden spoon, well I added the water gradually. Made sure the mixture was of a muffin batter consistency that is slightly thick. Greased 3 teacups with butter and poured in the mixture until it was three quarters full in each teacup. Baked in a preheated oven at 170 degrees for 30-35 minutes. For proper large size measurements and step by step directions just Google the recipe. I absolutely loved the way they came out considering my unconventional mixing; they were moist, soft and smelled divine! I was so proud of myself will definitely be making more teacup muffins soon! 
Big muffin cut in half
Don’t even know why I was worried that the teacups would crack in the oven when teacups are actually made of ceramic which can withstand heat. Kudos to all the food bloggers out there food photography is definitely not easy I think I took about 30 images and these are the ones that made it on to the blog.

Big muffin and one baby muffin in a baby teacup


That baby muffin was gone in two bites!

Kitchen Korner is a regular feature on the blog that showcases food made using ingredients that can also be used on the hair; double food hair products I like to call them. Today’s double food hair products are banana, egg and cinnamonFreshly churned butter is also used to condition hair by some women in parts of East Africa.

12 comments:

  1. Man I looooove banana bread and banana muffins. I'm drooling just reading this! I recently developed an intolerance to bananas though. It's one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol @drooling! Banana baked products are just the best. Sorry about your intolerance:(

      Delete
  2. I will definitely try this out. I love bananas so this will be a real treat for me :) I usually 'bake' 3 minute mug cakes in the microwave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! I am yet to try 3 min mug cakes but that is now on my to do list:)

      Delete
  3. So glad you posted this, it looks delicious. Hope you will try my 3 min mug cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yep those mug cakes are on my to do list imagine a chocolate cake only 3-5 minutes away whenever you want it can't get better than this lol

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Tasted good as well! Thanks for stopping by:)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous. I'll have to try a banana version. Thanks for the shout out.

    And you make perfect sense on the ceramics being made at high temperature: something I knew but hadn't clearly articulated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.