Wednesday 19 March 2014

Half and Half!


I found out last week that the lady who owns the braiding salon where I get my cornrows done had invested in a hair steamer, now I can’t remember the last time I had my hair deep conditioned using a hair steamer it’s been many years so I was more than eager to try hers out. I touched up this past Sunday at exactly 12 weeks post; I have been wearing my hair out for a little over a month now and was ready to end this stretch. I honestly think that stretching is much easier when in long term protective styles, the initial plan was to get my hair braided then touch up in April but I changed my mind so I did the reverse, touch up now and braid in April.


So back to my half and half wash day since I touched up at home using my trusted ORS Olive Oil No Lye Relaxer kit, all I had to do was rinse off the relaxer and neutralize using ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, detangle with Enliven Raspberry and Red Apple conditioner, pat the hair dry using a t-shirt, apply some olive oil and go to the salon for my steaming deep conditioning treatment. The salon is literally round the corner from my house the location comes in very handy for times like these.  So I packed my products and combs; yes I take my combs to the salon sometimes and off I went with damp hair. I had them apply my Natural Classic Henna Wax Conditioning Treatment and then sat under the steamer for about thirty minutes. I just have to say that everyone needs to steam their hair with a hair steamer every now and then my hair felt so soft and conditioned I had forgotten how good hair steamers were.


After steaming the lady attending to me rinsed off the deep conditioner without combing at my request, I then asked her to pat my hair dry as opposed to rubbing like they usually do with a towel, she then sprayed my Crème of Nature Argan Oil Strength and Shine leave in conditioner which I had brought along, detangled using my wide toothed comb, applied my ORS Carrot Oil moisturizer and then proceeded to set my hair in big rollers for a rollerset. I sat under the hooded dryer fell asleep magazine in hand, woke up 45 minutes later and my hair was ready and soft as silk:).  I had the lady apply my castor oil and eucalyptus oil mix to my scalp before wrapping my hair since it was around 7pm by then it didn’t make sense to comb it out only to go home and wrap it before bed. Got my hair wrapped sat under the dryer for five more minutes to set the wrap and then I was done. 
End result! I didn't do a length check this time round because I had a trim of about one inch all round  a few weeks ago I doubt if I would have noticed much difference in length from my end September length check. Sorry for the half photo as usual I was home alone at the time of taking this photo.

She used my combs for everything at my request. Did I mention the scalp massage? They give really good scalp massages at the salon that is one of the things I miss most about getting my hair done at the salon all the time. Because I get my cornrows done there and have built a relationship with them they are used to me by now and never raise eyebrows when I bring my own combs or products to use I don’t even have to ask in advance they already know that I will be bringing my own stuff. And that ladies was my half home half salon wash day.

ORS: Organic Root Stimulator
The Wash Day Experience

16 comments:

  1. You're a lucky chica to have a trusted stylist so close to home! I bet your rollerset was on point! I've never heard of Enliven. It is only available overseas?

    Thanks for joining the #washdayexperience!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure am the salon location is a lifesaver! Enliven is made in England and I think it is also available to purchase online from different vendors. Not too crazy about this particular conditioner there is one called Coconut and Vanilla that has great slip which is what I usually use but it had ran out.
      http://www.enliven.co.uk/

      Delete
  2. The dryer send me to sleep too! Your wrap looks good from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and that dryer nap is the sweetest sleep I tell ya!

      Delete
  3. Your hair has a great shine, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce! I am "chasing" your length:)

      Delete
  5. Loving your hair's shine! I want a steamer myself! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Dre and thanks too for stopping by:)

      Delete
  6. I haven't used a steamer in ages! Was thinking of buying one but its so expensive! You hair sounds like it got a lot of TLC! Great relaxer results! I have decided to stretch my length checks to once every 6 months just to get more a more noticeable length difference, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! I concur with you on the 6 months length checks they make more sense than say 2-3 month checks even though you have new growth you don't really see a noticeable with shorter duration length checks.

      Delete
  7. You know, I've never steamed before. I only hear good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hear right Aku! You should definitely try a hair steamer one day totally awesome!

      Delete
  8. Steaming is definitely a great practice. I do it every two weeks and my hair just lives it! It makes detangling very easy too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.