I normally work out in the mornings the most food I have in my stomach at the time is a glass of water sometimes juice as well. It is recommended to eat something at least 45 minutes to an hour before your work out because your body needs enough energy to get you through your workout; just like a car needs fuel to move. This doesn’t work for me unfortunately so I eat after my workouts. I have tried eating at least 2-3 hours before working out to no avail it doesn’t matter what I eat be it a sandwich, cereal, fruits, drink a smoothie or have a full meal it just doesn’t work for me. Even if I have a light lunch at 1pm and workout at 4pm still doesn’t work for me. This is what happens if I eat as recommended before my workout;
· I am sluggish feel tired, drowsy and almost too lazy to workout properly and this is during the actual workout itself. I am more energetic on a lighter stomach.
· The food in my stomach feels like it’s moving up and down and this is during average workouts like walk at home exercise not intense cardio. The one time I did intense cardio after eating pre workout I almost threw up and never tried it again!
· My stomach feels bloated sometimes as if I am holding a jug of water in there that’s making waves like the ocean does no kidding!
· I belch/burp like crazy mid workout that I have to stop and then start once the belching/burping has stopped
· Sometimes the food feels like it’s coming back up my throat instead of going down
All this happens 2-3 hours after eating pre workout. So while a pre workout snack or meal is recommended it doesn’t work for me. The most I can do is water and maybe a glass of juice to give me sugar needed to exert energy for the workout anything else no thanks.
Do you eat pre workout? How does that work for you?