Wednesday 23 July 2014

Wig Wash Day!


Having never worn a wig before ever (I still plan on getting one for bad hair day emergencies) this post is based on my experience watching the women around me who did wash their wigs. My aunts who were young ladies in the 70s have always worn wigs I remember seeing them in braids at some point but sew in weaves never. Give them a wig any day and you will be the best of friends. This is how they wash their synthetic wigs to my knowledge high quality synthetic is all they wear I have never seen them with human hair wigs;
  • Take wig out and brush it to detangle
  • Soak in cold shampoo water in a bowl/basin/sink for a few minutes.
  • Hand wash it by swishing it around the bowl and gently squeeze it add more shampoo if necessary. I never saw my aunts do it but you can use a conditioner too if desired same method as shampooing and then rinse with cold water.
  • Gently squeeze it dry, very very gently and then shake out any excess water
  • You can then air dry it on a shower knob, wig stand or anything else you find appropriate. If you have a garden or balcony the better you can air dry it out in the sun depending on the weather of course otherwise the bathroom will do just fine.
  • Once dry apply any necessary styling products, brush and style.
  • If you have a stand alone or desk top hooded dryer at home you can use that to dry the wigs quicker on low heat.
  • Once styled place the wig back in storage if not wearing immediately. Wigs can be stored on the wig stand – recommended or laid out flat in a drawer.
I came across this video online which pretty much sums it up. 


How do you wash your wigs?

The Wash Day Experience

4 comments:

  1. Pretty cool. I've been thinking of starting a wigging regimen...This will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well boom---that's a pretty simple wig wash day!

    Thanks for sharing chica!

    KLP | SavingOurStrands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very simple indeed KLP and you are welcome:)

      Delete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.