Monday 28 April 2014

Just Beet It!


Having just made a fresh batch of my homemade braid spray that has leave in conditioner, coconut oil, eucalyptus oil, olive oil, avocado oil, castor oil and aloe vera juice that I got from my aunt’s kitchen garden I decided to add some beetroot juice to the mix. I first mentioned using Beetroot or Beets if you like on this blog as a hair dye in this post last year. But did you know that in addition to having plenty of health benefits Beetroot also has other benefits for hair other than just covering those greys being used as hair dye? Well here are some of them…

  • Beetroot juice contains carbohydrates, protein, calcium, vitamins B and C and other important nutrients which help promote hair growth by improving blood circulation in the scalp.
  • Beetroot juice contains anti-pruritic properties which help combat itchiness and dry scalp.
  • Beetroot juice mixed with ginger and rubbed on the scalp helps prevent hair loss and baldness.
  • Beetroot juice contains carotenoids that promote the thickness and shine of hair. (Please click on the link above to read more on benefits of beetroot for hair, skin and health)

I am going to mix in some beetroot juice with henna for my next application to see what colour I will get.

Fresh beets are best used but if you don’t have any or can’t find any then using store bought fresh beetroot juice can work too.

Links

http://www.livestrong.com/article/432539-juice-beet/ 

How to extract Beetroot juice without a juicer 

Have you used Beetroot juice for your hair?

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, not in a million years did I think of beetroot and hair, I think i will use this for dyeing my hair. Can't wait for the update. So u said u are adding into your braid spray too? how is that working?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's working well in my braid spray thanks for asking. According to some reviews I read Beetroot is a very temporary dye it washes out in like two washes so you may want to mix it with another natural dye like henna if you are looking for something more long term.

      Delete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.