Thursday 29 May 2014

Technique Thursdays: Homemade face masks


I use a lot of homemade recipes and products on my face I would say about 80% all natural products and 20% manufactured. Here are two very easy to make, effective and pocket friendly homemade face mask recipes that I use on a very regular basis. Food items I currently use on my face about three times a week are natural plain yoghurt, coarse cornmeal, honey, tomato, papaya, avocado, banana, mango, turmeric, ground cinnamon, white vinegar and egg if it’s good enough to eat then it’s good enough for my face:) Here are two recipes from that collection; 
 
Avocado and turmeric face mask
Small piece ripe avocado
¼ tablespoon turmeric
Small mixing bowl
Mash avocado and mix together with turmeric I usually use my fingers then apply straight to my face but you can use a spoon or fork to mix. Apply to face and neck leave on for 20 to 30 minutes it will dry up on the face and then rinse off, it leaves my face feeling smooth and moisturized. Avocado is a natural moisturizer; it also nourishes and revitalizes the skin. I use turmeric which is considered a wonder spice for all the benefits you get from it inside out (health wise and topically on your skin) in almost all my face mask recipes. It gives my face a nice glow other benefits of using turmeric on your skin include but are not limited to; acne treatment, controls oily face, reduces appearance of fine lines and wrinkles among others.  It’s also a great spice added to food and I use it a lot in my cooking I like to add a little to white rice to give it a nice yellow colour.


Banana and cinnamon face mask
Small piece ripe banana
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Small mixing bowl
Mash and mix well together until fully combined. Apply to face and neck leave on for 20-30 minutes, the mix usually dries up on the face and then rinse off. Banana loaded with plenty of vitamins and minerals is a great natural moisturizer, restores lost moisture and repairs dry dull skin by helping get rid of dead skin while maintaining your skins natural glow. Cinnamon another spice I use in my cooking contains antifungal, antiseptic and antibacterial properties which help to combat most facial problems like acne. Cinnamon also soothes dry skin by removing dead skin cells; it improves blood circulation by bringing blood to the skin surface thereby giving the face a fuller plumper appearance.


I never feel the need to moisturize my face on the days when I use these face masks my face is left moisturized even after rinsing the masks off. Both masks can be used without the spices so don’t worry if you don’t have any spices available the avocado and banana on their own will do just fine. The spices are a personal preference for me. Some people especially with sensitive skin may find cinnamon irritating to the skin or have an allergic reaction to it so if you are not sure please do a patch test first before adding cinnamon to your homemade masks.

Do you have any homemade facial care recipes? Please do share with us.

Relaxed Thairapy

8 comments:

  1. I love all natural products. I will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do and be sure to let us know how you liked it or not:)

      Delete
  2. OOOOOH that sounds great! Natural is even better. I have acne prone skin so gentle products are a must. I have acne creams that I use so I wonder if the cinnamon will tingle or burn my face. Hmmmm

    Thank you for linking up with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not too sure about the cinnamon tingling or burning your face you may want to do a small patch test somewhere on your lower jaw line just to be sure. Jaw line because it is not so prominent so in case of any reactions then it can be easily covered up and not noticeable as opposed to if you did a patch test on your cheek for example.

      Delete
  3. I tweeted your awesome facial ideas out to the Twittersphere! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading about your DIY recipes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.