Wednesday 10 December 2014

A Clumpy Affair!



I have never had a DIY fail using food ever since I started blending my mixes until the other day. So I blended my homemade banacado mixture 2 bananas and half a small avocado and kept it overnight in the fridge. I was making a smoothie late at night so I thought why not just blend my homemade deep conditioner at the same time instead of the next day to save me from washing the blender twice – yes I can be lazy like that sometimes. The next day in the early evening when I was ready to deep condition I realized that the mixture was just a little bit too runny for my liking so I decided to hand mash half a banana and add it in to thicken it up a bit, this was my veteran mixtress mistake number one. I proceeded to deep condition for about 30 minutes and then hopped into the shower to rinse it out. I hopped into the shower at 6:15pm and usually on DC days I can take anything between 30 minutes to an hour in the shower depending on what I used to DC. So I rinsed out all the banacado or so I thought then applied regular store bought conditioner to help detangle and then I remembered I had to drop off something somewhere before 7:30pm so I told myself I will detangle when I get back to save time, that was veteran mixtress mistake number two. I rinsed out the conditioner, t-shirt dried turban style as I grabbed some clothes.


When I was ready to go I held up my hair with a hair clip I was only going to be out on the next street for less than 15 minutes. I never bothered to look properly at the state of my hair in the mirror I was more concerned with dropping off the item before the stipulated time. So I dropped the item got back home in record time and sat down to detangle and that is when I discovered clumps of hand mashed banana still left in my hair especially in the middle. Huge clumps! Blended fruit based DCs normally leave fibre in hair which fly away on blow drying (I blow dry on cool setting to get rid of them) in my experience banana leaves more fibre than avocado; here I was with huge clumps of banana still left in my hair! I hand removed whatever I could and then got a wide toothed comb to slowly comb out the rest. I decided to co wash in the morning so as to fully rinse out any remaining clumps that may have been missed. The next morning I co washed and detangled in shower and got rid of whatever tiny clumps that may still have been trapped in my hair and then proceeded to blow dry away the fibres and I was banana clump free at last!
Lessons learnt;
·         No more shortcuts always blend mixtures. If I had added the half banana and then blended again I wouldn’t have had a clumpy situation.
·         When using fresh food based DCs always comb detangle with conditioner in the shower no matter what. If I had done so I would have gotten rid of the clumpy situation in shower.

All co-washed out; nice and clump free hair

Have a non clumpy wash day everyone!
The Wash Day Experience

5 comments:

  1. Oh no! Sometimes taking short cuts just isn't worth it. Why do we have to learn the hard way. LOL! If I ever try a homemade DC, I will remember to blend thoroughly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! No more shortcuts for me lol

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried a banana recipe once and my hair felt so soft afterwards! I really should try it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does leave my hair very soft as well. Don't forget to blend it well next time you try it again:)

      Delete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.