Friday 19 December 2014

Fitness Friday: Why bother?



There is this man that goes walking round my neighbourhood every evening I have seen him on several occasions he usually walks in the late evening between 7-8 pm sometimes a little earlier. He does a back and forth sort of walk routine up the street and back again. I commend him for walking every day like he does he seems really committed, the only time I don’t get to see him walk is usually on Sundays I am guessing that is his rest day maybe.
He always smokes cigarettes during his walk I don’t know how many but it is definitely more than one I have seen him light up at least twice on one walk. I am sure some of you have seen photographs or ads on the adverse effects of smoking. I find myself asking why bother? Why bother to exercise at all when you are destroying your lungs it doesn’t make sense that is me being judgmental hey I am only human. Judging by how old I think he is he did not pick up smoking yesterday. From my observation and I stand to be corrected on this, most smokers pick up the habit early on in life either in their teens or early twenties and carry on throughout their life some quit along the way some don’t.

Smokers are generally less fit than non smokers due to the increase in lactic acid caused by tobacco smoke binding to the red blood cells, displacing oxygen and thus hindering delivery of said oxygen to body tissues and muscles. This causes fatigue and heavier breathing among smokers. Smokers will get tired quicker than non smokers while performing even the easiest form of exercise (Source click to read more). Other readings online say that exercise can actually help those who want to quit the habit to do so.

What do you think about smoking and exercise?
Fitness Friday

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this, Lydz. Why bother? It seems pretty pointless to attempt a healthy lifestyle while keeping unhealthy habits like smoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least someone else sees it from my point of view

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't take the why bother approach. Maybe he is taking the glass half full approach and to be honest he is reaping health benefits from walking even though he is smoking while at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could say the same thing about those who aren't eating well even though they hit the gym daily. The walking isn't as beneficial as it could be while he keeps smoking BUT I think of it as a balancing act. The one healthy thing is being cancelled out by the not so healthy thing. I've gotten to that thought over time though. I used to make fun of several friends for doing the same thing. Short of looking a little older than they should for the most part they are in decent health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Relaxedandhealthy and Southern girl; I hear you ladies....like I said in my last sentence "other readings online say that exercise can actually help those who want to quit the habit to do so" maybe he is trying to quit the habit? Who knows......but I honestly don't get it for me it's similar to someone who is trying to loose tummy fat but drinks excessive amounts of alcohol it won't work unless they stop with the excessive alcohol intake the beer gut is there to stay that's how I look at it.

      Delete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.