Saturday 16 March 2013

What's in my spray bottle?


My current spray bottle has the following ingredients;
1 tablespoon dried hibiscus flower petals
½ teaspoon dried mint leaves
Bit of cinnamon stick about half an inch
Few drops of rosemary infused olive oil
Few drops of coconut oil

Hibiscus flower
I poured one cup boiling water in a bowl containing the hibiscus, mint and cinnamon. My spray bottle is 250ml so it can only take one cup or less at a time. I let the mixture steep overnight, next morning strained and poured the remaining liquid into my spray bottle added the oils shook it up and it was ready to use. Mint leaves or spearmint leaves are “cousins” to peppermint leaves. Hibiscus leaves are natural soaps I have actually done this myself; rub a leaf between your hands with a little water or pound it, it foams and produces a soapy substance. I am a big believer in letting people do their own research so to find out the benefits of all these plants/herbs and other uses not just for hair but everything else Google is your friend:) I ended up adding a few drops of my leave in conditioner as well for a stronger scent since I didn't have any strong scented essential oils to hand but the mixture works just as well without the leave in.

I use the contents of my homemade spray bottle when wearing braided dos with or without extensions, for wetting my hair if getting a rollerset on dry hair or damp washed hair, as a cheat co-wash when I need to but don’t feel like co-washing or when I feel that my hair needs extra moisture. There are only two standard ingredients that remain the same at all times in my spray bottle; distilled water (bottled/filtered water or boiled water that has been cooled down) and natural oils be they carrier or essential oils these two ingredients are constant the rest of the ingredients that go into the bottle are determined by what I have in the house at the time of mixing. This is how I determine what else goes into my spray bottle; if it comes in a liquid form, can be liquidized, doesn’t need to be rinsed out  and has been proven to be good for hair then it goes in I just play around with the quantities to get an even mix. That being said if you have never had hibiscus tea/juice or pineapple mint juice then you are missing out big time! Try making them sometime. Have a lovely day people!

My super dented spray bottle:( Don't know what I was thinking adding hot water straight into it without cooling it first!

4 comments:

  1. Is it bad that that reminds me of milkshake and makes me want to drink it?

    Great post as usual.

    mixed-hair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha you cracked me up lol! It sure does look like strawberry milkshake! I actually made a lot more minus the oils and leave in condish of course and drank it just added sugar and chilled in the fridge for a few hours.

      Delete
  2. That really looks yummy!! I can't keep that in my house cos my daughter will surely throw a tantrum each time she sees it!! Oh, and I thought I was the only one who made the mistake of pouring hot water into a spray bottle...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell you I thought it could withstand the heat and boy was I wrong!

      Delete

Thank you for reading...feel free to add a comment, suggestion or question. I am always happy to hear from you! Lydz.